New guidance document by FAO’s EX-ACT team is tailored to the needs of finance institutions, multilateral and bilateral donors and their implementing agencies, international organizations and national governments seeking to quantify the GHG mitigation benefits of AFOLU sector project activities, under the following general conditions:
- Ex able estimates of mitigation impact are required to justify and access finance; and/or
- If ex post estimates of mitigation benefits are required, these are not used to generate tradable credits; and/or
- Agencies seek to estimate mitigation benefits in a transparent and credible manner with low minimum requirements for investment of resources in GHG quantification; and
- Standard international practice in results-based management is required, involving monitoring and evaluation based on project logframe or results framework indicators; and
- The use of other specific GHG quantification methodologies is not mandated.
Wilkes A, Bockel L, Grewer U. 2016 Guidance for Standardized GHG Assessment of Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) Projects. Rome: The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Available at: http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/ex_act/doc/EX-ACT_MRV_Guidelines-lb-20_1_2016.pdf